TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Air Travel
Travel Discussion Forum

My son is here!

Can airplanes fly in 0 degree weather?

Just wondering because my family is flying in tomorrow and the high where I am at is 15 degree for the day, so I can only image what the temp will drop to when they arrive in the evening. I am just curious to konw if my folks will be able to make it in in such cold weather. There is no snow in the forcast though. So that may be a good thing!

Check our article section Travel Tips
Festival Packing Tips
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Lobengula
It's not uncommon that airplanes take off and land in temperatures of under -20 degrees F (-29 celsius). Aircrafts must be deiced before departure but that is a standard routine.

Just think about it. You don't hear anything about air traffic being canceled due to temperature, do you? :-)

No instead it's snow, lightning and fog.

hairhorn
Absolutely.

Most large airplanes fly at upwards of 40,000 feet, where the temperature is intensely cold, often below minus 40.

Ben Dover
Yes. Jets actually perform much better in cold air and the air temperatures at high altitudes are much colder than zero anyway.

Sweetdaddy Rex
YES ! In fact, jet engines perform better in the cold, than in the heat ! I was an aircraft mechanic/aircrewman for 20 years !

Maybe???
Of course your family can make it.
However, the plane may be delayed for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the airplane, for de-icing due to such cold temperatures.

aflumpire
planes normally fly at tempretures below -50 during the year at high altidtude.

There are hevy machines at the airports that go over the runways every few minutes to make sure they dnt freeze over.

dart
Yeah. Temp isn't really an issue. Thunderstorms can be, but temperature...not so much. You know they fly airplanes to Antarctica, right? Never gets above freezing there...

iREP BULGARIA
yes,of course...it really doesn't matter the degrees just the wetaher like if there's a hurricane or thunderstorm..so don't worry

Amber
Yes I am a flight attendant....they deice the wings.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel