TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Air Travel
Travel Discussion Forum

Niles J

Can i bring alcohol in my checked in luggage on a plane?

Check our article section Travel Tips
Cruises for Little Girls
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Elizabeth
Yes but pack it in a Ziploc bag - I have known too many people who had their bottles come open or break in flight. Let me tell you, it's hard to get Kahlua out of your clothes.

Cowboy68
Yes. However, if you are traveling outside the US you need to be aware of import/export laws. Usually one bottle is not an issue. If asked if you have anything to declare, just tell them about the bottle. In the US, all you have to worry about it is breaking.

Jessica
just as long as you've checked the bag...yup!

megeelee
Yes and No.

Check with your airline, but here are the rules as I've been told...

It has to be less than 140 proof (70% alcohol).
Maximum of 5 liters.
Must be in a sealable bottle or flask- no open containers (duh).

Some tips:
Package it carefully so it doesn't break.
Arrive early because they'll probably search your bag when the bottle comes up on the xray (even if you're not present).
Don't put any notes on your luggage tag to indicate that there is alcohol inside. (I know a guy who's a baggage handler and it would be pretty tempting...)

sbillustration
You can find out all you need to know about probited/allowed items in checked and carry-on baggage at the TSA website:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/pack.shtm
Enjoy your trip!

computelgt
Yes, you an they sell it in the Duty free stores all day long

**Tx32**
I have flown with 2 bottles of wine in my checked baggage before. The important thing is to make sure it is packed and sealed. Those bags are thrown around a horrible amount in transition from the airport to the plane and back to the airport conveyor belt again. Lots of shifting under the plane too, so if you can, try to find a styrofoam shipping container specifically for bottles, or wrap the bottle in several layers of plastic bubble wrap and put it in a box to help protect it during the trip.

LVloverNaNa
Alcohol can be in your cargo baggage but not in your carry-on bag.

hootie
Depends on the size...here's a cliip from the TSA website. It's it's smaller than 3 oz you can bring it on board with you... if it's larger you have to check it.

Food & Drinks
Item Carry-on Checked
Beverages brought from home or purchased before reaching the security checkpoint in containers LARGER than 3 oz. No Yes
Beverages brought from home or purchased before reaching the security checkpoint in a 3 oz. or smaller container and in your quart-size, zip-top plastic bag. Yes Yes

mexican leona
yes, but it will be best if you put it in your carry bag on top o the plane, that way they see it right away and don't have to make a mess searching for it in your main luggage that you probably struggled closing anyways.

Xello
Usually a bottle or two in your checked in luggage is not a problem. Just make sure to pack it properly and declare it if asked.

You CAN bring alcohol on board in your carry on luggage only if you purchase it AFTER going through the security check point. You do need to keep it sealed though and make sure to save your receipts.

Candii JoJo is a groovy chick.
I saw somoeone on the last flight I took bringing on a bottle of wine. I think if it's sealed and stays that way during the flight it's fine.

briannarox
I think so.....but you can NOT bring it on.. you might have to hide it in between your sweaters.

anthony9223
You can if its in the hold but not in the cabin liquids aren't allowed

YOUR JESTER
no
look here
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#2

Tenacious
it all depends on the airport... in lax , california they put restrictions on bottles and fluids.... call your airlines ahead of time to find out... or just try to get business class seats.......... lol

alysia c
you may do this but you have to notify security and it cant be a large ammount

Summer
I wouldn't

Ian T
yes but not in hand luggage its so u bye theres crafty those airline companys

Thomas L
Yes. The allowed quantities vary from country-to-country but they all allow you to have some.

cartucho135
Depends What Size The Container Is.

Shel
yes, i just arrived at my familys from a plane ride for thanksgiving and I had alcohol in my bag and it was no problem just tell the people at the check in desk

hello
yes.

michmale069
On checked in...yes. Do it all the time. But not on carry on.

melissa
You should be able to, as long as it is not opened.

When i returned from italy i had 3 bottles of wine in my bag and it was fine.

straight_up
No, no personal liquids at all. You can only have it when served to on the plane. Sorry....

CaliGirl
I dont think so

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel