TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Air Travel
Travel Discussion Forum

Why are airline tickets so expensive right now?

My husband and I decided against going to visit my brother in California for Thanksgiving this year because it would have cost over $1200 for the two of us to fly. We are thinking we'll go sometime in the spring or early summer instead, but when searching for flights, they don't seem to be much cheaper then! With the economy so bad, why aren't the prices of flights going down any?

Check our article section Travel Tips
It’s Carnival Time!
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

um.... it's a holiday. Durrr....

Airlines are restricting their flying schedules, which leads to fewer seats, and generally few lower fares, that tend to be snapped up well in advance. You don't mention where you are travelling from and so I can comment on why prices appear to be as expensive in spring summer as over thanks giving, which to be honest you should expect bargain prices to be harder to find over a busy holiday period.

You could try being flexible about the days that you travel on, mid week can often offer the best deals, as most people prefer weekend travel for holidays.

I would not worry right now if you are looking for prices in the spring or summer. The prices are expected to come down a little. Keep looking in the meantime just to get an idea of how much ticket prices are. Sometimes airlines will have specials so if you are constantly looking, you might find a good deal. Definitely buy your tickets at least 14 days before your departure date.

Prices for Thanksgiving tickets are expensive right now because Thanksgiving is tomorrow. Contrary to popular belief, tickets do not suddenly become cheaper at the last minute. Rather, they will increase up to the last minute, with very few exceptions. Add on the fact that you're trying to travel at one of the busiest travel periods of the year, and it's no surprise that tickets are $600 or more apiece.

Less flights, high fuel costs, fewer airlines, all mean higher prices.

A lot of people got laid off and can't afford to travel like they used to. This means the airlines suffer too. They have to make up for the loss somehow. If you go to, they have a lot of great deals for domestic flights.

No i am not agree with these, not all airlines booking are expensive. Some of them provide cheap airlines tickets too. When I book from i get discount. So how I can agree with your talk that airline tickets so expensive. Because its depend that which airlines you are using. Next time compare the prices and then book cheap tickets :)

Frank Smiley
Keep comparing and you will find a great deal. there are quite a few sites that you can search that will likely give you the best prices available. check out the website BookMe and you will be able to compare prices on all the reputable travel sites in just a couple minutes. it's very convenient and will save you a bunch of time and money. Also, make sure you buy them online... otherwise they charge much higher fees for phone orders. good luck.

supply & demand

Economics 101

My Answer
I think flights are dirt cheap compared to driving a car, taking a bus, train. You have to wait until Tuesday PM before researching flights. is a great site as is

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations