TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Asia Pacific
Travel Discussion Forum

Do Muslims say grace before they eat?

you know like some Christians do just before they eat they say a prayer thanking God for what they're about to eat
Additional Details
Adi aka Kunyit,
your answer begs the question do you have to say it before and after you ermmm...errrr.. you know what...?

Check our article section Travel Tips
Helsinki – Experience Finnish Design and More
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Adi Keladi
Yes, and actually before and after, and actually before/after doing anything (sleeping, travelling, leaving house etc, but of course not killing, stealing, cheating etc). The sayings/prayers for meals are stated by Muslims above. Those who are too lazy to say the long grace, it is sufficient to say Bismillah (In the Name of God) before eating or doing anything and Alhamdulillah (All Praise be to God) after eating or doing it.

Edit: What ermmm...errrr.?
Generally, you say them for every good act. Unless you think that ermmm...errrr.. to satisfy your natural, God-given need in accordance to God's Law is not a good act as a God's servant. Of course, you should say before and after only, NOT while doing it e.g. calling God's name while in the middle of the act like some ppl do.

★ Cik Yaya ★
"Allahumma bariklana fiima rozaqtana waqina

Etiquette of eating & Drinking:
The Barakah (blessing) of eating is gained by washing the hands and rinsing the mouth before and after meals. (Tirmidhi)
* Recite Bismillah before eating. (Bukhari, Muslim)
* Eat with the right hand. (Bukhari, Muslim)
* Never eat and drink with the left hand because Shaytaan (Satan) eats with the left hand. (Muslim)
* Eat from the portion of food that is nearest to you, i.e. do not eat from all sides of the plate. (Bukhari, Muslim)
* Do not eat from the centre of the plate, but rather from the side, as barakat descends in the centre of the utensil. (Tirmidhi)
* Before commencing with meals, removes shoes as this relaxes the feet. (Darimi)
* When morsel has fallen from one's hand, clean it and eat it. It should not be left for Shaytân. After eating, before washing the hands one should lick one's fingers for one does not know in which portion of the food does the barakah lie. (Muslim)
* Whoever eats from a plate and thereafter cleans it, that plate seeks repentance on behalf of that person. (Tirmidhi)
* Do not get up (after eating) till the table is cleared.
* Always partake of food in company and utter Allah's name before eating, as this will be a source of blessing for one. (Abû Dawûd)
* When partaking meals with another person, do not stop eating until he has not finished eating; for this will embarass him. If one has to leave than offer an excuse (Ibn Majah, Baihaqi)
* Rasoolullah salallahu alaihi wasallam never leaned on anything while eating. (Bukhari)
* Rasoolullah salallahu alaihi never found fault with food. If he liked it, he would partake of it. If he disliked it, he would leave it. (Bukhari)
* When commencing to drink first recite Bismillah. (Tirmidhi)
* After drinking water says Alhadulillah. (Tirmidhi)
* Do not drink directly from a water pitcher (or any water container). (Bukhari)
* Do not breath into the utensil nor blow into it (whilst drinking). (Tirmidhi)
* Do not stand and drink. (Muslim)
* Do not drink in one draught like a camel but in two or three sips.
* Do not drink from utensils that have chipped or cracked edges. (Abû Dawûd)

Before we eat we say " besm allah al rahman al raheem"
which means " by the name of Allah"
And at the end, we say " Alhamdo le allah"
which means "Thank you Allah for your bless and grace"

Oh yes... yes... definitely :)

In fact I say my grace before I do alot of things each day... Like before I leave my house for work; in the office before I start work; before I go to sleep, etc :)

It's really my appreciation to God for all the good things He has given me, the strength He has given me to pull through the day and also the serenity He has given me after a hard day's work :)

ΨξThere is Peace in Ya!m$eng
emm............. usually i will tell the food:
"i m gonna eat u liao"

Square Pants
"...Allah humma bariklana fima razaklana wakina azabanna.."

translated into Malay...

"ya Allah, berkatilah rezeki yang telah engkau berikan kepada kami dan jauhkanlah kami dari azab api neraka"

✿ : : : s.p.ʘ-o-ʘ.x : : : ✿
Before a meal, Muslims say:
"Bismillahi wa 'ala baraka-tillah"
Translation: In the name of Allah and with the blessings granted by Allah (do we eat).

After the meal, Muslims say:
"Alham do lillah hilla-thee At Amana wa saquana waja 'alana minal Muslimeen"
Translation: All praise is due to Allah who gave us food and drink and who made us Muslims.

For clarification, "Allah" translates (in its simplest translation) as : The Only One worthy of Worship - that is, Almighty God.
And, "Muslims" are believers in One God and that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be with him) was God's final messenger.

(May God forgive me for any mistakes I've made in answering your question)

mr singh
yes my name was not grace

I say

"Biss muh lah" It's like saying bless me or saying grace... and when you're done you say "Humdolah" meaning I'm finished or thank god.

Optimus Nate Primal™
O Allah! Bless (the food) You provided us and save us from the punishment of the Hellfire.
In the Name of Allah.

Allahumma barik lana fima razaqtana wa-qina adhaban-naar. Bismillah. (arabic)

Yes, we do...

im a muslim and i always say grace before i eat

yeh i've seen them saying it many times

..yes we fact there are specific etiquettes of eating if one wishes to follow the way of the Prophet Muhammad.(pbuh)

.*refer to yaya's answer....

yes, i say grace before i eat. how about mr singh, do u, by any chance, know?

I don't think they do but i do know they prey a lot.

Funny, will you call them Muslim again if they say grace before they eat?

Souvik P
Allah, thank you for this blessed decadent meal of turkey, mashed potatoes and heavy gravy.

do you call me,bean?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations