TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Asia Pacific
Travel Discussion Forum

How to solve the garbage problem in the Philippines?

One of the main problems in the Philippines is the garbage. What can you possibly suggest to solve/ if not, lessen the garbage problem.

Check our article section Travel Tips
Cruises for Little Girls
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

One time, I was out on the city streets at the downtown core. I wanted to dispose a candy wrapper to a nearby public disposal unit (a garbage can that is suited outdoors for public use), but I was surprised that not many are present for many blocks! I was told to just "throw it away" on the street. I decided to keep the wrapper in my pocket until I found an available and proper place to dispose it. This incident has occurred a lot here where a proper public disposal seems "unavailable" in areas where large number of people would be present in public streets.

My suggestion for that is to increase the amount of public disposal units (public garbage cans) for the outdoor city/street use. Place signs around that advises citizens to kindly dispose waste into a nearby disposal. A similar program has been placed in places in Canada, where citizens are encouraged to follow a "Litter-Not" program (keeping the waste until you see a nearby garbage can). Japan has used a similar system, in which they even have a separate disposal unit specifically for chopsticks located conveniently on city streets.

To better educate the people, the government must really push the importance and really emphasize the benefits of proper disposing. They should really teach the children and the youth to really practice how to properly throw and sort-out garbage. Parents should be good role-models for this in order for children to really understand the importance of it. Programs should be more active in order to clean the streets, like open new jobs that specifically help clean the streets.

When you know that garbage builds a lot in one area, where there is no place to throw the trash other than throw it on the ground, why not place a damn garbage can/dumpster box there so that it is available for public use, and have someone cleaning it often. I don't find a lot of these on the streets that I have visited here, only tonnes and tonnes of street garbage littered everywhere.

This petition is the request big fast food chains in the Philippines to do the following:

1. Use plastic serving plastic plates instead of stryo.

2. Use washable spoons and forks for dine-ins instead of disposable.

3. Use washable plastic glasses instead of disposable.

4. Segregate the garbage from within the store.

5. Adopt garbage minimization programs.

FOCUS: Philippines grapples with garbage disposal problem
Asian Economic News, Jan 8, 2001

MANILA, Jan. 5 Kyodo

Garbage litters most of metropolitan Manila as authorities grapple with the unenviable task of finding a dump site for the many tons of rubbish generated by the capital's 12 million residents.

The Philippine government, engulfed in a political crisis over the impeachment trial of President Joseph Estrada, is also working overtime to avoid a full-blown garbage calamity that may test the patience of the metropolis.

The garbage situation reflects the never-ending mess that buffets the two-and-a-half year Estrada administration. Problems include Muslim extremism, kidnappings, rising unemployment and protest actions spawned by accusations Estrada pocketed millions of pesos in kickbacks from illegal gambling operations.

According to government records, metropolitan Manila generates an average 5,854 tons of waste, 29,268 cubic meters, daily.

About 74.14% of the trash comes from households, 9.40% from commercial shops, 7.50% from restaurants, 7.60% from public markets, 0.80% from institutions, 0.41% from street sweepings and 0.14% from river clean up, the records show.

Of the waste, records say only about 4% is recycled, 6% is burned or buried, 25% is illegally dumped or finds its way into the sewers and nearby river systems and 65% is collected by authorized garbage collectors.

''The problem is where to dump these tons of garbage,'' said Visia Aldon, a spokeswoman for the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA). ''We have to look for ways.''
Finding dump sites for garbage has proven to be difficult indeed for the government.

The government needs at least 30 hectares a year -- and millions of pesos -- to properly dispose of all waste generated by metropolitan Manila residents, Aldon said.

On Dec. 31, the government was forced to halt dumping garbage in San Mateo in Rizal Province, east of Manila, due to strong opposition by residents there.

Garbage collection was further exacerbated by an accident in Payatas, an open dump site and home to thousands of poor residents of Quezon City.

In July, more 100 people were buried alive when a mountain of garbage caved in. The accident prompted local authorities to temporarily close the site.

For months now, the stench and sight of mountains of garbage punctuate the metropolis as authorities gave up looking for dump sites within the metropolis and outlying areas.

Recently, officials announced they have found a remote island-village in the central Philippines called Semirara where garbage can be disposed of, only to be faced with more opposition from environmentalists and residents.

Bob Alojipan, a resident of Antique Province, appealed to the government to abort its plan to dump garbage on the island.

''This area is the last biodiversified area in the country,'' Alojipan said. He said the plan threatens to pollute the beautiful beaches in the area, including world-renowned Boracay, which is about 50 kilometers away from Semirara.

Boracay, an island off Aklan Province, is one of the major tourist destinations in the country due to its pristine, fine-sand beaches. The crystal clear waters are tranquil and perfect for swimming, sailing, fishing and sunbathing.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources has declared Caluya town and the Semirara island-village in Antique Province a ''marine turtle sanctuary'' since June 1982 due to an abundance of endangered turtle species in the area.

Semirara is a 75-square-kilometer island-village about 275 kilometers south of Manila.

''Turtles (called pawikan locally) thrive in Caluya, especially on Semirara, and if you dump garbage there the habitat and the sanctuary of these endangered turtles will be destroyed because these turtles are highly migratory,'' said Angie Viloria, a government biologist.

Viloria said their office was not consulted at all about plans to dump garbage on the island.

''They kept us in the dark,'' she told Kyodo News.

Presidential aide Robert Aventajado, in charge of garbage disposal, confirmed a barge ferrying garbage has already left a Manila port on the way to Semirara for the more than 30-hour trip to the island-village.

But even there, there is a problem. The barge can not dump the garbage on the island due to a temporary restraining order issued by a court in Antique following complaints from Antique residents and Boracay hotel operators.

Where the modern-day ''Flying Dutchman'' will take its stinking cargo next is anyone's guess.

? allan y
practice green living.**

RE-cycle, recycle, recycle and greatly reduce the reliance on plastic bags.

WE have a weekly service for rubbish and a forthnightly service for re-cycling.
More garbage collecting trucks,
Rubbish sorting dumps (non/bio-degradable

1. Proper waste segregation
a. Biodegradable
b. Non-Biodegradable
2. Recycle
3. Launch a campaign to educate people on proper waste disposal.
4. City government should enforce stricter laws on littering and garbage disposal in each residential areas.
5. Citizens should practice discipline among themselves and their neighbors e.g. be a good example for children, throw garbage in designated garbage cans and not on the sidewalks.

The garbage problem can be reduced if all citizens work together to clean up the streets, canals, vacant lots, etc. But the most important thing to remember is that change starts with YOU.

Anathema Device
Encourage people to segregate and recycle. The government (particularly the local government units) should seriously implement programs on proper garbage disposal.

jan-na~?~ and im luvin it
parents should teach their children to throw that candy wrapper properly.

when i was a kid, my mom told me not to throw even those lil wrappers on the road. it is better to keep it in my bag then put it in the bin when i get home. until now i do that. and i feel ashamed if i even try littering in an already-dirty road.

last week, while riding a jeepney,i saw this kid who just finished eating a bag of chips. and his mom told him to just throw it out of the window.. what a bad example. and to think there is a trash can inside the jeepney.. i really want to scold the parent!

parents should really teach their children.

*that's my own little way of contributing to our garbage problem

i a
The rest of the Philippines should make Marikina as the model of waste disposal. The city is really strict in collecting garbage. You should separate the degradable from nondegradable, and put a color-coded string in the garbage bag to distinguish the two garbage. If you mixed the two garbage in one bag, they would open your garbage bag and throw your garbage in front of you door. Just look at Marikina today. It's very clean.

practice self discipline. it would surely lessen the wastes/garbage

Tina Beeahh
well, teach the people about recycling, or throwing away trash. having trashcans scattered around the islands [and having someone who deals with it when it get's full.]

it's much easier said than done...but. hey,'s a thought.

lou s
The philippine government needs to do as other countries do and establish sanitary watse disposal land fills where the garbage is sorted recycled and materials that are non hazardous and biodegradable can be buried and will eventually turn back into viable soil.

Cull the humans.

Oh please educate the people. I hope they have this virtue called concern and self-discipline.

Recycle =)

Change starts from within so in our own little ways we can start with recycling. And my favorite? Bringing a good and stylish shopping bag & doing away with the plastics bags.

Juan C
segregation of bio-degradable from non-degradable...

putting more trash containers in roads, streets, etc...

giving fine/penalty to those people that are being caught because from violating rules and regulations (such as throwing their garbage on streets)

parents should teach their children the right way of throwing garbage

teachers (in school) should discipline pupils/students about solving garbage problem in their communities...

Be a model of some sort. Start it with yourself and teach young kids and the adults to have a proper waste disposal. Discipline is the only solution with that problem. same as with traffic and other problems in the Philippines.

? Shm ?
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
.. is the 1st way to reduce garbage problems.

Black Hat
Complete TRASH or DUMPING SITE facility which is capable of recycling.

Well defined Garbage Collection process and additional Garbage Trucks.

reduce, reuse and recycle...
but for Filipinos it is best to educate them first about the garbage problem and the proper handling of their garbage...
there is too much garbage because people dont know much of its effect or have a first hand experience on it... the laziness on not seggregating our trash is that people dont take much effort to participate and think that they dont really have the time... so its important to let them know the importance so that less garbage could be dumped.

Connie Marble
Ship it to an address in Tijuana.
They won't know the difference.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations