TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Canada
Travel Discussion Forum

DHINESH N

Can I take rental car from Buffalo, NY to Toronto and back?

I am planning to rent a car and drive to Toronto for a week, is there extra fees to be paid to border point?

Check our article section Travel Tips
13 Spots for 2013 from British Airways
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Your #1 fan
You need to ask your rental agency for precise rules about that.

John L
I've often driven rentals from upstate NY to Toronto and back. When you pick up the car, tell them you're planning to drive it into Canada so they give you a Canadian insurance card. It's a normal thing to do, no extra charge.

If the car has license plates from another state, the border agent might notice and ask, so be sure you have your rental agreement handy to show that it's a rental.

coyote
No, you can drive across the boarder with no extra fees.
I used to travel to London, ON, and I always flew to Detriot, rented a car, and drove the rest of the way.

Sanmigsean
Yes you can. There are only fees if you drop off at a location other than where you rent from.

travelgirl218
You will have to check with the car rental company as they vary - many car rentals will let you take the car into Canada -
Here is what Hertz says

HERTZ CARS MAY BE DRIVEN INTO CANADA BUT THE FOLLOWING
RESTRICTIONS APPLY-
**RENTAL LOCATION MUST BE NOTIFIED IN ADVANCE SO THAT
. NECESSARY PAPERWORK CAN BE INCLUDED WITH THE CAR.
**CANADIAN CUSTOMS AND EXCISE REGULATIONS PROHIBIT
. CANADIAN RESIDENTS FROM DRIVING US RENTAL VEHICLES IN
. CANADA AND/OR RETURNING TO THE US. WHEN A CANADIAN
. RESIDENT RENTS A US CAR IN THE US AND DRIVES INTO
. CANADA, HE/SHE MUST OBTAIN A TRAVELERS VEHICLE PERMIT
. FROM CANADIAN CUSTOMS /FORM E50B/. THEN THE RENTER
. MUST GO DIRECTLY TO A CANADIAN HERTZ LOCATION AND
. EXCHANGE THE US CAR FOR A CANADIAN CAR WITHIN 24
. HOURS. NO ONE WAY RENTAL FEES ARE APPLIED.
. RESIDENCY IS BASED ON THE PRIMARY RENTER.
**RENTERS MAY ONLY DRIVE IN CANADA FOR 30 DAYS UNLESS
. EXTENSION IS REQUESTED FROM CUSTOMS AT TIME OF ENTRY.

Alletery
Yes as long as the company you are renting from gives permission.

hazel a
There should not be any additional fees to cross the border and back by either country. The rental company may impose some type of charge to go back and forth, but, I doubt it. Be sure to check on the auto insurance coverage you have while driving in a foreign country. Make sure you are covered to the max. as if involved in an accident out of the US it could become nasty. The auto rental company will also have an insurance rider for you to purchase in the event you don't feel like your insurance provider is enough; or if they say it isn't enough you will have to buy their rider or not get to rent the car. Hope this helped and have a great trip.

FeatherHead
Sure, as long as you are willing to pay the mileage cost and have the correct paperwork.

Steve
You'll have to check two things. Whether the rental car company will allow it and whether Canada Customs will allow it.

First, make sure that the rental car company has no problems with you taking the car into Canada. It probably will be OK, but you should check.

Second, it depends on whether you're a resident of Canada, or not. If you are NOT a resident of Canada, then you should have no problem driving a US rental car into Canada, for the purposes of visiting. But, if you ARE a resident of Canada, then Canada customs will not allow you to drive a US rental car into Canada, except in emergency transportation cases or in cases where you are driving a US rented transport vehicle (like a moving van) into Canada for the purposes of retrieving property and transporting that property back into the US.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel