TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Canada
Travel Discussion Forum

erin m

Can somoene cross the border from Canada to the US without going through customs?

I always wondered if there were backroads and/or waterways where they come from.

Check our article section Travel Tips
Travel App of the Week: Trover
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

bigmamag_pimpess
There are actually good sections of the American/Canadian border that you can cross without going through customs. It's quite a problem, actually. With the border being so vast, it's almost impossible to monitor every location. My local news station recently ran a story about this and they had undercover investigators cross at different unchecked points and no border patrol agent bothered them, even after sitting there for half an hour.

ALexis B
yes but its not legal

Carl_the_Truth
Not a bright idea, unless you want to see the inside of a federal prison.

SteveN
A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a border officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws

According to the US Customs & Border Protection agency, you are expected to enter the US through one of their 326 designated ports of entry, unless you are part of the I-68 program and have automatic entry status.

By not doing so, you are considered in the country illegally and can face fines and expulsion from the US.

Both Canada and Mexico have these same requirements, so crossing the border in either direction in a place you are not supposed to can be a "bad" thing if you get caught.

ksyush
illegally - yes

a_l_a_n_6_6_5_0
not leagley

rhsaunders
Not legally, but there are several towns on the border where people do it routinely -- they live on one side of the border and work on the other.

serve to victory
Yes, but not legally.

garrisonbight
Yes... but it's not legal, so don't get caught

wyomugs
Yes there are... and yes... LEGAL ones... but you are on the "honor system" at those crossings. The government is also working to shut down these crossings, too. I heard this on a news report about just such things! It showed an empty booth, a phone, and that's it.

kim t
you will definetly have a problem getting in or out... i dont suggest it...

HO HO HO HIC
yes but when you git caught its 25 years in the pen

The Midgets Hammer
Ironically, the boarder with Canada seems to be better guarded than the Mexican boarder. But I'm sure there are back roads in Montana and such that haven't been used in years except by those who know they are there.

cafegroundzero
It is getting more difficult, but honestly, I would have to say, use your common sense and what you know.

David S
yeah. there are many roads the cross the border without cross a customs station.

I live in Montreal and frequently go down to the US. I use a border crossing station near this small town called Prairies des loups to avoid long waits at customs.

its like, one little shack and there's never any waiting.

rebel_southern_cableman2000
Yes, there is a place where a person can cross. It is in Maine

Samster
you can, but you will be caught when you try to come back.

tunasalard
yes a moose

mvp18ro
You can pole vault.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel