TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Caribbean
Travel Discussion Forum


Can a convicted felon obtain a passport and travel to jamaica?

i was convicted of a class 3 felony in 2006 ( aggrivated assualt. single car roll over accident. non dangerous, non violent, non repetative) since than i have served my time in prison and completed my parole. i no longer have any obligation to the state of arizona. i would like to know if ONE: I will even be able to get my passport renewed? it expired in 2007 while i was incarcerrated. and TWO: will jamaica alow me into there country fora short time for a romantic get away?

Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Honestly, you'll get your passport renewed. Because your felony has nothing to do with terrorism, there is no reason why they wouldn't allow you a passport. I've heard of people who were convicted of a felon and did their time and were able to get a passport and go to Jamaica. You still have rights because you did your time! It may take a bit longer to process so give yourself time but since your renewing it, you should be just fine! Enjoy your vacation!!! :)

FACT: I served 3 years in a Federal Penitentiary'
FACT: I was able to get a Passport last year.
FACT: I have NEVER been asked about my conviction.
FACT: I have traveled to St. Martin/St. Martten, Jamaica and Mexico.

BUT .... I got stopped at the Canadian border (I'm a truck driver) and was told that I am not allowed entry into Canada, because I had a DUI 23 years ago, a DUI is a felony in Canada, and it will be reason enough to bar you from entry. THANK GOD!!! Because I hate going to Canada in a Semi.

The FACTS are FACTS, I know them to be true, because I personally lived them.

The Latter is drawn out but much needed info for your situation so read word for word k?I got married in Jamaica 7.1.08 and needed to get a family there and here it is:How to Travel to Jamaica With a Felony Charge

Traveling can be a stressful experience. The customs requirements, banned items that cannot be taken across borders and fine print you neglected to read before you boarded that plane or sat behind the wheel of your car for a road trip may cause delays and frustration when you finally reach your destination.

Couple this with traveling internationally or across borders with a felony conviction, and it could be a recipe for disaster. Jamaica has been known for especially strict entry requirements when it comes to persons with felony convictions. Get prepared in advance so your entry into the country can be as smooth as possible.


Know your conviction details. What was the charge or conviction? If you weren't convicted, there is still a strong possibility that an arrest or charge will still be on your record. Jamaica weighs a conviction in the United States and other foreign countries against their own legal statutes. A DUI in the United States is a rather common incident, but this mark on your record can easily bar you from entry into Jamaica. On the same note a misdemeanor in the United States may be considered a more serious offense there, so do not assume your "minor" conviction isn't enough to cause a problem.

Gather all information about your conviction. The date you were convicted, all sentencing stipulations, probation time allotted (if applicable) and community service served. If you don't already have this information, be prepared to locate it. You will need it later.

Do you research beforehand. Despite some internet information out there, a criminal conviction does not automatically bar you from entry; however, it can make it very difficult. Jamaica sometimes requires that all persons convicted apply for rehabilitation before entry. Rehabilitation considers that five years have passed since probation or parole sentences have finished or since an incident for which you were not charged (but may still be on your record).

Be prepared to pay.

In order to file for Rehabilitation certification, Jamaica and any other country can impose an application fee from $200 to over $1,000. The amount you will pay is tied into the seriousness of your conviction.

Fill out your application. This requires you to give basic information about yourself, explain your conviction, the events that led up to it as well as your statement on why you feel you are rehabilitated. (See the official application for further details.) Be honest. If you lie on your application, and conflicting information turns up, you may not ever be allowed entry.

Allow for enough time. Processing times for your application can be as long as a year. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are quite limited. Enough cannot be said about planning in advance of a trip to another country.

Understand that each person and situation are unique. Do not be discouraged by your past and assume that you will not be able to gain entry. Do your homework, contact the Consulate and proceed from there.


Consider outside help to assist you with filling out your Rehabilitation application. A knowledgeable family member or friend can help, as well as a paid lawyer or member of the Consulate may also be of service.

Contact a embassy in Jamaica if you feel you need more updated or personalized information about entry into Jamaica, there are people in place to help you.
If you were convicted of an offense as a juvenile, you will more than likely be allowed entry. Contact the Consulate to confirm.

Do not take Jamaica's entry restrictions lightly. You may end up sleeping in an airport waiting for your return flight home.

This info I have saved on my computer from the fight to get a passport
and unfortunately the paperwork was just not ready for relative to travel with us,and to date still not finalized good luck.No one on this site will be able to give you a definitive answer for this only the US Government and the Jamaican can make this decision.

Blake S
Unfortunately I don't think you are going to be able to get a passport renewed as a convicted felon.

You have to have a passport to enter the country of Jamaica. If I were you, I would look into going to St. Thomas (Virgin Islands) since I don't "think" you need a passport to go there since it is a U.S. owned island. Also, it is just as beautiful as Jamaica!

Good luck!

The important thing is to get your passport renewed. If you can do that and you have a return itinerary, i can see no reason the country should deny you entry.

Wow, that's a good question, see what it says on the application. I know when we got our passports renewed, we had to surrender our old passports. Since you have already had one will be a plus. You can always call the clerk of court and ask.

bob cratchit
yes, you can go to jamaica. they can't just ban you from leaving the country and jamaica's very easy goin, they will accept you into their country.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:


TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations