TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Caribbean
Travel Discussion Forum

LondonsBella25

Respect in Jamaica?

My husband and I went to Jamaica in May for our honeymoon - we were in Negril.. .beautiful place! I loved it... we had a good time... but it's crazy $$$$ to do anything off the resort.

All the time walking around our resort & when we did do the excursions - local men would walk up to my husband and say "respect" - he had no clue what to respond to that - why do they do that? I'm not complaining or anything, but we would have loved what to say back and why it was said so much...?! Can someone help? Thanks!

Check our article section Travel Tips
It’s Carnival Time!
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

michelle s
It's a greeting, like "hello", or "hey", they were just acknowledging you and your husband. Just being as kind as Jamaicans can be.... :-)

Zinky
So much more than a hello. you can say respect back, or you can say love and honor.
It recognizes all people as one people and is a greeting of unity.
Should be "respect" everywhere

$wifey$
its just a greeting. you respond by saying hi, wats up or respect

grillz
just say; "ya man" wud u like a bear-can sandwich-it allways works!

koo
say it back, it mean hello, hey, wat's up, they're just being nice, it's a greeting

◄☯♫ vanitee of vanitees ♫☯►
Just a standard greeting.

Lamoya
Its just a way of you and your husband hello. You could reply by saying respect back to them hi or bless up

tawwy
its a form of greeting. you may also have heard. "bless up" or "hail". just reply the same nod or hail. although you mostly get these types of greeting from rastafarians.

Giox
It means like hey or hi just say respect back or hey

allie
instead of saying hello they said respect.

LexDiamonds
its just a greeting. Just say respect back.

mixedcurlyfriesz
There's also " Bless Up " it's just a greeting like " Ello " !

☆ Mixed Curly Fries ☆
(\__/)
(='.'=) ♥
(")_(")

Keisha
It is another way of saying hello but it goes beyond a simple hello. They are also giving him kudos.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel