TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Caribbean
Travel Discussion Forum

rabkjj3

Why is the water light blue or light green in the Bahamas and Bermuda?

Check our article section Travel Tips
5 Destinations for Valentine's Day
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

TINKERTOY ..... the 1 & only
The water is actually as clear as your tap water at home. But it appears blue or greenish because of the light refracting through it. In some places you can see clearly that the water is clear because in the Bahamas there is a white sandy bottom resulting from the sand being high in white coral deposits. As the water deepens and you cannot see the bottom the water appears blue. In Bermuda there is a similar sand action but the sand is pink in most places because it is from pink coral.

islander
Colors change with the depth of the water, the type of bottom, the presence of a reef and the angle of the sun.
http://www.caribbean.com/bahamas/out_islands/bahamas_by_water.html

vybes_souljah
That's the natural color of water...

Water in the 'North' tends to be full of a lot of algae giving it that green color. Or else other colours due to local pollution run-off or natural river minerals.

baby cayden is here
i don't know but isn't it gorgeous

myself
I thought I learn in school that water is colorless or I always known that, anyway I think the water is just a reflection of the sky

buff j
it's very clear water

T
Because of the sand.....the sand is white there.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel