TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Europe
Travel Discussion Forum

Sarah

Greek Terms of Endearment?

looking for phrases and words for terms of endearment within family, like between a father or mother and son, and grandmother or grandfather and grandson. like common household words or phrases that would be used in a greek/english speaking household, what kids call parents and grandparents, and what they call their children and grandchildren etc. for a book, if that makes a difference, so not the actual greek spelling and letters but the way you would write it in english. thanks!

Check our article section Travel Tips
Meet the Digital Traveler
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Angelic Christoforos
"Re" (like saying "hey you" so it's a bit rough in way). Trust me, this is probably the most common word in the majority of Greek households. It isn't very "endearing", but it's the reality of what's being said. "Paidi mou"/"paidaki mou" (my child) is pretty common and nicer - even children will say this to their parents (yeah, a child calling his/her parent "my child"). "Manari mou" (my little lamb) is a nice one too.

Lite xoxo
Angelic has given you some good answers.. my mum always says to me- 'kopela mou'..means my girl in a sentence.. 'kalo taxidi kopela mou' -have a good trip my girl

PANDORA Πανδ?ρα Χρ?νια Πολλά
'Matakia mou' is another one, which means 'My eyes' 'Agapi mou - 'My love' Yiayia (giagia) is grandmother but in my family we say 'Yiayoula' and 'Papouli' for grandfather which are both more loving.

Airpole.
Most of the Greek endearment words or phrases sometimes are almost meaningless unless you take into consideration the way they are said and intoned and most importantly to whom they are said to. Kardia mou, matakia mou, kouklara mou, agapi mou, agapoula mou, are some of the most common endearments between couples, let alone those made with the use of some animal names. E.G. I was called skiouraki mou, arkoudaki mou, koalica or koala mou. Mostly names of furry animals. Giagia , giagiaka, giagioula and papou, papouli, papoulaki is what my grand daughter calls my wife and me using the giagioula and papoulaki ones especially when she wants to get something out of us. I use kopella mou or kopellara mou to my niece and my God-daughter, and sometimes other people that I feel I can get away with it.

Least Favourite Martian
1. "Yassou reh malaka", is, the 'international passport' (the most commonly used language) for Greek 'yutes' greeting one another. 2. Whilst on holiday in Ierapetra many years ago, this stunning Anglo-Irish lady (sitting at the next table) asked me to explain to her (provided that I understood and spoke Greek) the exact meaning of words "little moon" and "big moon." My Answer: "A little moon is known as 'moonaki.' Big moon is a 'moonara.'" 23 years later, we are still together!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel