TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Germany
Travel Discussion Forum

Nonverbal communication in germany?

Check our article section Travel Tips
Travel App of the Week: Flight +
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Let me clue you in on something I found very surprising when I was stationed in Germany. you can get a fine for "hand signals" of certain types, i.e. the one finger peace sign.

You can also get nailed for giving some the U.S version of the OK sign! (Thumb and forefinger forming a circle, other three fingers extended.) In Germany, this means you are calling someone a "rectum". (I used rectum since you can't spell asshole on Yahoo! Answers.)

There are many hand signs in Europe that are different from the U.S versions, and I never did learn them all. One of the other signs that was bad news with the locals was the Texas Aggie "Hook 'em Horns" sign. (Forefinger and pinkey extended, thumb over ring and middle finger.) This is giving someone a "hex" over there.

Hope this helped, but I'm a little rusty. I'm sure if you got hold of someone who was stationed there recently they would know more.

I think your question is incomplete.

Hi.Greetings from Germany.Yes, we have nonverbal communication in Germany; even more intensive than in states, but completly different from yours.

They still put the verb at the end?

Same as in the Congo.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations