TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Latin America
Travel Discussion Forum

maryjane

Can a person drive from North America to South America? ?

Can a person drive from North America to South America? My bf says they are not connected, that there is water between them.

Check our article section Travel Tips
Travel App of the Week: Flight +
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Kristine A
Good question.

Riley
no, you would not be able to pass through the panama canal without a boat

Hondu
They are connected, however, there is a fifty something mile stretch of jungle and swamp near the borders of Panama and Colombia that cannot be crossed with anything but a four wheel drive or an ATV. It is called The Darien Gap and is infested with insects, snakes and bad guys. Otherwise, yes you could drive all the way from N. America to S. America.

anebgx
Not exactly.. yea you can drive , the only thing that could be interpreted to "separate" is the panama canal(connects pacific and atlantic oceans). and there's bridges

mc93433
You can but some of the "roads" are not so good through Central America. Don't try it during rainy season.

Jennifer B
No they do connected!! The place that connects through it is Jamaica
so you can go up to your friends and say that they should look on a map or a plastic globe because i am right i looked it up and plus im studding it right now LOL!!! Jennifer

AnOldGranny
Im sure there is a barge or something if there isn't a road

jcgimp11
Yes of course you can.
I can't believe some people actually think there isn't a bridge across the Panama Canal, jeeze!

EXPECTING
I'm pretty sure the Panama Canal is in between them. But other than that, I'm pretty sure they were connected before it was built.

zezinho
You can use Google Earth. You´ll probably die inside the Amazon forest, hahaha.

jimcintosh
Your bf is sort of right. You CAN drive down over the Panama Canal and whatever rivers you encounter UNTIL you reach the Darién Gap which is located at the place where Panama and Colombia meet. At that point, you can't pass because there is no road for 160 kg (100 miles). The area is swampland, which makes your bf sort of right since swamps have lots of water.

The only true water barrier between North and South America is the Panama Canal, but the "canal" is more a series of lakes connected by a series of human-made canals. These canals are easily crossed at any of the numerous bridges.

The only water-type barrier is the Darién Gap, and that is a swampy area that prevents the passage of vehicles.

If you're interested, you can read more about it using the links below.

?STREAKER?©??
pull up a map and show his them they may not be next to each other but they are connected. Mexico and a few other countries lie in between but you can drive from North America to south america.

Brian L
they r connected and u can drive between them i teach and was asked that question before

M W
No, you cannot drive from South America to North America. The impass is in Panama. In fact you can only walk it at certain times of the year and with permission from the indigenous people of Panama.

joke4life12
yes u can, but i advise taking a plane seriously tho

The answer girl!
Yes

Eunice L
yes

Tsunami
THERE IS NO WATER CONNECTED YES YOU CAN DRIVE THERE LOOK ON THE MAP DUH?

woahhitscharity
you can. the interstate 5 freeway can take you from california to south africa, or all the way up to alaska, but in some places in mexico and those places down there, its pretty much gang central

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel