TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Mexico
Travel Discussion Forum

Answers ASAP!!! Can I get back into the USA from Mexico with an ID and Birth Certificate??

My friend wants to go to Mexico in about an hour (driving) and she says I can get back into the U.S. with an ID and a birth certificate. I'm pretty sure that's not true, but I want to make sure because I don't want to get stuck in Mexico.

So can I get back into the US from Mexico with just an ID and birth certificate? I also have a passport but it expired in the '90s lol!

Additional Details
Also, I've been reading up on it. It says: The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. While U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable, the U.S. Embassy recommends traveling with a valid U.S. passport to avoid delays or misunderstandings.

Check our article section Travel Tips
Ready to Go to Bali?
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Those who said you do not need a passport for LAND travel are correct. That requirement will go into effect in June 2009. For now, you need your birth certificate and a photo I.d. See site beow to read the law for yourself.

this question is asked quite a bit and the answer is as long as you don't travel by plane, you can cross the border either way with valid, legal picture ID and your birth certificate( not a copy)

by land you don't need a passport

to get into mexico u NEED a passport, which pretty much helps you get back in...

Nope. You need a passport. It's really not an issue since you can't get out of the US and into Mexico without a passport, so you wouldn't even have a chance to come back.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations