TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Mexico
Travel Discussion Forum

Sister Girl

Can I travel by car into Mexico without a passport?

I want to drive from Arizona to Mexico for cheaper dental work, but I don' have a passport. Will I be alright with my license and birth certificate?

Check our article section Travel Tips
Fall Festivals in Southeast Oklahoma
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

UsCiS-ReP
Dont listen to the majority of these people (sorry).

If you are traveling by car, no you do not need a passport UNTIL January of 2008. At this time passport requirments are only for people traveling by air in & out of the US.

Magda
Yes u can travel to mexico without a passport if ur driving..The new law only applies to those traveling by air to mexico..I have to agree with the first person who answered ur question first..the law for a passport goes in affect in 2008 for driving..the only thing u need to bring is ur resident alien card, ur id and thats it..

Laughing Libra
I think you need a passport to get back in the U.S. now. If you live near Nogalas or Naco just park on the U.S. side and walk across.

earringsnbuttons
I agree with Tara. You cannot travel in and out of Canada and Mexico anymore by PLANE without a passport. However, I called the border crossing from US to Canada and asked if we'd need to have a passport if driving over and back. The man there said that until Jan 2008, a U.S. state ID or driver's license would be fine. I also read an article in the local paper (Spokane, WA) I believe, saying the same. It seems they have extended it another year for land traffic. I recommend calling border control or the consulate yourself if all of these answers confuse you.
Also, what I've always done in years past when entering at Tijuana is to go to the second insurance agent after entery to buy a weeks worth of driving insurance. Good luck! Say cheese! or Queso! and show those pearly whites before 1-08!

rainy_blonde
You can't get back into the US without a passport anymore.

andertwinsen
not anymore. passports are now required

sammy
I agree with Tara

Jdogg1508
You'll be able to get to Mexico. But don't count on being able to get back into the U.S.

momof2
Right now, yes. In a few years, no. New law applies to air travel only at this point.

chica
Not any more ya need a pass port new law just past

A-Rod
no, but u can cross & don't expect coming back, cuz u won't even though u live in the U.S. they don't care.

ktray1275
not any more

glossy-n-fly
yeah you can, when you come back though make sure you take your drivers lisence and another form of id such as a birth certificate or social security card. they will just warn you to next time you need a passport.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel