TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Mexico
Travel Discussion Forum


Can my kids use there u.s. birth certificate to cross the border from mexico?

Check our article section Travel Tips
Travel App of the Week: Trover
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

If they are driving or walking, yes. If you are flying no.
Requirements will change next year regarding the driving and walking part.

100% Indita de corazon
i have crossed only with my birth certificate and and id, any id with picture, if you are going by foot u have to know everything about that birth certificate because officials will ask you things, and kids have to be with his parents

nope u need there passports if they are leaving the u.s.

I think so .If you are just going on a trip I don't think it would be a concern.The Post office can answer this they also sell passports.

If your children are accompanied by BOTH parents and travel by car, they do not need passports. If they travel by plane, they need passports. If they are traveling with only one parent or someone other than their parents, they MUST have passports. It is ilegal to take a child out of rhe United States without both parents present OR a passport. Mexico wil not allow them in. To get a passort for a child, both paents must be present and sign the application. if you are single or divorced, you must present a notarized letter from the other parent giving permission for the child to leave the country with you ar another pperson. This permission is required to get the passport and is the reaon the child must have a passport to leave the country. See website below and/or ask at the passport office at the post office.

Traveling by car a US passport will not be required until 2008. If your children are young (under 13) I don't think it would be a problem but you might want to check out the websites listed below.

If your travels take you outside the United States, please read this important information regarding new passport requirements that go into affect next month. Links to additional information are available below.

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Click on the following links for additional information Passport services:

General Information:

How to Apply and Documentation:

Applications and Forms:

Where to Apply:

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:


TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations