TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Mexico
Travel Discussion Forum

AJ Stumpy

How far to drive from houston to mexican border?

i'm looking for information for a road trip i'm taking this summer. i just want to go with a friend into mexico for a couple of weeks to see what it's like. i'm not really looking to do the touristy stuff, i want to see what real life is like. i lived in argentina for a couple of years so i already speak spanish. does anyone know how long it would take to drive from houston to the mexican border? and then once there how far until we get away from american culture and into real mexico? and what kind of security precautions should we take if any? thanks for the help everyone, you guys rock

Check our article section Travel Tips
Top 12 Things You Need to Know About Traveling with Kids
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

From Houston to the Mexican border (just past McAllen or Brownsville, TX) is about 360 miles, about a seven-hour trip.

i think you need to go to at least monterrey...saltillo maybe...but really, go into central mexico. to aguascalientes, zacatecas, guanajuato, michoacan...well geez, go to all of it if you're taking a road trip.

there are tons of cars in mexico with texas i don't think that's your security risk. my biggest piece of advice...cross the border right after first light...and get past nuevo laredo as fast as you can. seriously. don't stop for gas or anything. just get to the highway and go. once your beyond that...i would say only a freak occurance would land you in trouble. stick with the toll roads for the most safety (they take only cash, bring pesos) but honestly...i have never felt unsafe driving in mexico, even on the free highways....EXCEPT in the border towns. just never be there at night and get through them as fast as you can. know EXACTY where you are going so you don't have to roam around or stop, and you'll be fine.

well it's 353.3 mile to loredo which is righ ton the border, it also depends at what part of Mexico you want to enter

Dwayne A
Bienvinedos Tejas, amigo de Argentina! I am a life long Texan that have traveled the globe.

Several years ago I drove a dying friend to Texas border. Our ultimate destination was to Mexico City to the Shrine of Maria de Guadalupe to accomplish a "Promisimo". It took about six hours from Houston, including a brief rest stop in Corpus Christi. We arrived at Matamoris, a border town at the tip of Texas. We put the car in storage at a UHaul and continued or our car in Mexico is not advised, as the roads can be treacherous and car thiefs are possible. Take your passport as it might be necessary when crossing the border.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations