TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    United Kingdom
Travel Discussion Forum


What do people in Great Britian call members of their family such as their mom, dad, sisters, and so on?

I have to do a story thing for school and was wondering what the mom, dad, sister, brother, and other relations were called

Check our article section Travel Tips
Travel App of the Week: Flight +
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

There's many variations, usually dependent on which part of the country a person is from.

Brothers and sisters are simply called brothers and sisters. Occasionally bro or sis if addressing them directly.

Moms are called Mums (same pronunciation, different spelling), in Scotland and the north of England Mam is more common.

Dads are called Dads.

'Posh people' may call their parents Mother and Father or Mama and Papa (the 'a' sound being more of an 'ar' sound), very posh people may call them Mater and Pater - this is what's taught in public schools. Some people use ther terms Mammy and Pappy but it's only really used by people from overseas. Some Asians add the suffix 'ji' as a mark of respect - Momma Ji, Poppa Ji.

Grandparents can have a variety of names. Grandma, Gran, Granny, Nana and occasionally Grandmother; Grandpa, Grandad and occasionally Grandfather. Posh alternatives would be grandmama and grandpapa.

If both sets of grandparents are refered to by the same terms then sometimes to distinguish one from the other the name may be included so you get Granny Mary or Grandad David. If the grandparents have different terms such as Grandma and Grandpa, Nana and Grandad then there's no need to distinguish so the name is unlikely to be included.

Nephews, neices, aunts and uncles are called by these terms, sometimes aunts are called Aunty / Antie / Auntie.

'Mum' is spelled differently and people refer to their grandmother as their 'Nan'.

Young kids call their mum (notice the spelling difference), "mummy". Grandmothers are called "nan".

hope that helps!

People in the West Midlands part of England actually call their mother 'mom', same as in the US. But yes, elsewhere 'mum' is more common.

mr T
same as what you do, the new nations, america ,austrailia etc mostly adopted the english language and so the names of kin, notice how many american town names are called after the English ones even in Austrailia

As well as 'Mum', a lot of people in the UK refer to their mother as 'Mam'. This is most common in Wales, Scotland and the north of England.

It depends what part of the country you're from. Mum if you're from the south, Mam in the North.

I live in the North East where traditionally your parents are Ma and Da but nowadays it's usually Mam and Dad. When you're referring to them, you normally prefix Mam and Dad with 'me' (meaning 'my'), as in 'me Mam' .... 'me Dad'.

I have one sister and one brother and that's how we refer to them, however, another thing we have in the North East is to add the prefix 'our' to blood relations. For instance, my siblings are our Sue and our Paul, as far as I'm concerned, that's what they're called and it seems strange not to add the 'our'. Their spouses on the other hand aren't blood relations and are just Paul and Jackie.

We have Aunty and Uncle and in the north grandparents are usually Nana and Granda ... Of course we had to be different and I had two Grandmas and Grandads.

that would be there ( kin )

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:


TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations