TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    United Kingdom
Travel Discussion Forum

ann b

What is the nicest place to retire to in England?

Check our article section Travel Tips
Travel Means Freedom
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Huge
I suggest the house type you choose and location of the plot that it sits on is the most important consideration whether that be where you are currently located or elsewhere. As to nicest places to live, choose by listing what is most important to you (i.e. affordability, family, countryside, weather (climate), theatre, health facilities, shopping, public transport, airports) but be honest and only list those things that are of real long-term importance to you - remember retirement can mean 45 years or more. Also, that when retired you can travel for years so you can always visit and stay for holidays if you like a particular place. Whatever you do do not buy a timeshare or overseas property - just rent what you want when you want it. Personally, I am happy where I live now in East Anglia - centrally located and with good facilities and country side but lots of people prefer to move to the coast, trouble is those places are full of old people!

magdalena
North wales. Beddgelert is the most prettiest town, in the middle of the Snowdonia.

Kell S
Retire to Scotland instead! The North East of Scotland has some of the most beautiful countryside anywhere in the British Isles, and probably in Europe! With majestic mountains, open countryside and the Sea all within near distance to towns and cities (check out Aberdeen - it's absolutely gorgeous, with granite buildings sparkling in the sunshine and we get more hours of sunshine per annum than anywhere else in Scotland).

Honestly - you can't do better!

scrufffff grrrrrrr
depending on what sort of surroundings you want...i'd say for country side you cant beat the cotsworlds....beauty beyond belief....myself i would want to be on the coast....devon or cornwall for me!

ginoguarino
Didn't know they have nice places in England, Try Wales or Scotland instead.

COD4 Junkie
sorry to disagree, but im planning to leave this sorry country long before retirement...over priced, underfunded, double standards etc etc

nataliebritton84
norfolk is pretty much untouched. beautiful aorund the broads. My grandparents retired there and they think its fantastic

ramrod cowfins
Devon and Cornwall have the most temperate climate on the British Isles mainland, and some stunning scenery, however it can get extremely busy in the holiday season, and rail and road links are not the best. Northern Ireland is beautiful and the people are fantastic, but the weather is poor. If you can afford it, the channel isles would probably be the ideal place to retire, with a good climate and just a short hop to France. Very expensive, though.
I hope this helps.

David H
Eastbourne, everything is geared towards an elderly population, decent climate and just an hour and a half to London.

Dan D
Eastbourne, it has an ageing population so all its facilities are aimed at the retired age.
and plus its nice by the sea!!

KENNETH S
west dorset. but keep it to yourself

budding author
I would opt for Bridlington Yorkshire, the whole coast line from Brid to Scarborough and on to Whitby is great.
Housing is one of the cheapest in the UK.
Very few yobs in Brid, if you haven't given it a thought check it out on the Internet, I live about 200 miles away but I go at least once a month, if you don't drive or don't want to drive there are plenty of local buses , which go all along that coast and are free to OAP's
Give it a thought.
I think I'll pop into the local Brid tourist office this weekend and see if I can get a free tee shirt for writting this?

The Lost Elf
Headington, oxford

Monkey Hanger
Countyside in North of England

murphywingedspur
Brixham, Devon; St Ives, Cornwall; Shanklin, Isle of Wight;
Anywhere in The Lake District.

XlouX
ground Cumbria or Yorkshire it is beautifully or may be even Scotland have a good retirement

Angel
Lake District,
Cotswold's,
Cornwall,
Peak District,
Northumberland,
New Forest,
Surrey,
Kent & Englands Garden,
North Yorkshire Moors,
South West England,
West Dorset,

Simmo
Cornwall. If you can stand quite a large tourist boom in the summer it is so worth it, plus you could blatantly find somewhere nice and quiet where tourism isn't as high.

potnoodle99
Walton on the Naze

richard_beckham2001
Cornwall

Lori M
nowhere move, move far far away!

nkcliff
not in uk

Gobbledeegooke
the crematorium

tedrfandthedog
Bournemouth. Or Eastbourne. (ramps everywhere!!)

Pinky and THE BRAIN
the cemetry

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel