TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    United Kingdom
Travel Discussion Forum

nicola

Why are english people so rude?

i am just back from holiday in blackpool and wondering if anyone from anywhere rather than england find english people arrogant and rude? not all,but i found the majority to be this way?? i am from scotland by the wayand proud of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check our article section Travel Tips
Visiting Ghost Towns of the World
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

beiterspace
I am English born and bred - they are not only rude but lazy, apathetic, pathetic, slovenly, arrogant, think everyone abroad should speak their language - but won't learn anyone elses - I am ashamed to call myself English - and you are entirely justified in your complaint - and I would like to apologise on behalf of my country for the rudeness you have suffered - I love the scottish accent (wish they wouldn't put call centres in glasgow though). You have that lovely Lorraine Kelly on itv breakfast - I could be very rude with her.
And if it wasn't for scotland we wouldn't have television and man wouldn't have reached the moon - congratulations on being Scottish and I am very sorry for my country's attitude to you and everyone else they upset !

kelly d
I live in England, and unfortunately, English people seem to be very rude, yes. I have been in Wales, Scotland and Ireland, and found that people are generally more friendly there. But just to say that, I think people who live in Big cities in England are generally ruder than the rest. ( I live in Birmingham) I am moving to Dumfriesshire next year, does that answer your question? lol

Mrs.Doyle
It's the way it is nowadays. No respect.

Not just England, but the UK as a whole.

Very sad state of affairs. The lunatics are taking over the asylum........

Neil_R
They don't teach manners in school anymore.

There's no time for each other now.

I try to keep my end up and say my p's and q's; but some people - honestly! - they can't push past you quick enough these days!

Better stop now before I become a grumpy old man!

Come on England - forget the football, start beong polite again.

Gareth B
english people are rude

Joseph, II
Funny...- I've heard the same complaint about the Yanks (Americans), Russians, French, Italians,- & on, & on, & on... Maybe the truth IS- that lots of people from EVERYWHERE- are rude & arrogant.-But as long as YOU are not one of them, then the world is a better place for it. :)

Autumn Fairy
there are rude ppl all over the world hon...as you can plainly tell by some of the answers you've gotten.

nonya b i think your lost dear! lmao!!! Rapidfire...THAT is rude! considering you've never met EVERY American. I'm sorry you've met the worst examples we have!

lyndsey H
i live not far from blackpool and i no what you meen they think they live in vegas or somthing trust me i aint like that i would of told em to **** off ha! ha!

Angel
I'm english....and I completely agree. People are soooo rude and arrogant in england! When I go on holiday abroad I can't get over how friendly people are.

Karrien Sim Peters
You were probably more in the northern states. Minnesota to me is like going to a different country. They have the biggest mall in the world and no one makes eye contact with anyone! If you ask anyone something they just give you go to hell looks. So yea you were probably in a less fun part of America.

Fluke
Come to Devon next time! We're all very nice down here!

AK
It's the way that the English Peasants have been brought up (Or more to the point DRAGGED up).. I'm SCOTTISH and I hate everything English they are all Bar--Stewards.... I hope this has helped you..

Rob G
They just are. It runs so deep we'll never know.
Souless bastards every last one of them.
Not opinion,experience!
Lived in England and was surrounded by bitter,miserable people. Moved to Wales, been the happiest ever. Welsh people are great, maybe not as fiery as us but a fantastic people. Try Ireland, sure its the same there.

g8bvl
think of an Englishman like a mirror...........

paja
Cos they're english
Duh!

Squiddly Diddly
Well I'm Welsh and have been living in England for 10 years. I find the English more rude - so much so that I'm going back to Wales to live next month!

Raymo
well this is rich! probably the questioner's problem stems from the fact that no one could understand a word of his/her garbled accent and had the audacity to ask for a repeat. I simply find it ridiculous to countenance that the majority of English people were found to be either arrogant or rude. How can Blackpool be swamped every year during the Glasgow Fair if this was the case? Sounds to me like another scots Anglophobe trying to stir it as usual. Get back to your porage!

libertarian
the english people are very deep minted by dissatisfaction, ambition and the will not to accept the circumstances they find in their life.

that originates a not always likeable sort of men, but there are the reasons too for their big success all over the world as individuals and as a nation related to their small number.

mariamayo9
I think it depends on how you approach people. You cannot generalize like this.
I am a bit sick of all the England bashing that goes on on here. Even worse when it comes from English peole themselves. There are so many good things about England and the English, and I am still proud to be English. I live in Scotland and cannot believe the racist attitudes up here. Get that chip off your shoulder!
THere are rude people everywhere, and I think that one rude person can overshadow all the lovely people you meet.

Open your mind and stop tarring everyone with the same brush. That goes for any nationality, country, religion.

Also in reply to someone saying English expect everyone to speak english - thats a load of rubbish. It doesnt matter how many languages you speak, if you go somewhere where you don't know that particular one, some-one wants to assume you cant be bothered.

I also think that a lot of countries learn English, then use it everywhere else they go, as its so understood, thus making a lot of countries assume that anyone speaking English is actually from there.

Everyone should just chill out and stop having a go at eachother.

Ok - rant over!

ashlee
I AM FROM SCOTLAND TOO BUT I AM ONLY 14 AND THINK ITS NOT THE MAJORITY OF ENGLISH BUT JUST THE PLACE YOU WERE AND IM SORRY BUT I THINK IF THE ENGLISH ARE BEING ASKED THIS THEN OBV THEY WILL BE RUDE TO PPO LIKE YOOH WHO ARE IMMATURE ENOUGH TO EXPECT BECAUSE OF THE MAJORITY IN BLACKPOOL ARE RUDE MEANS ALL ENGLISH ARE.

jen jen
we're not rude, generally, maybe u just had a bad experience. i find people to be quite funny and entertaining, even in my line of work! sorry about ur holiday...love scottish people, too.

Rose
Nicola, I can well believe that you met some rude people on holiday but I don't believe that absolutely every single person you met was like that.

I've been treated rudely in Paris - by one waiter. Everyone else I met was lovely. I don't post on here saying 'Why are the French so rude?' It's ridiculous to make generalisations about a whole city or country based on interaction with a few people.

BTW The England bashing is getting a bit tired now - we had a lot of Scots people banging on about how the English all expected to win the World Cup (we didn't - we hoped - we never expected) and now the constant 'English people are rude, Londoners are unfriendly' etc. It's a bit juvenile and pathetic really isn't it? And if it were about blacks/jews/muslims it would be called racism........

allha1l
Ive been to Scotland on holiday loads of times and i dont think ive ever met a grumpy scot.They know how to speak to customers and appreciate the fact that there spending money with them whereas if you go to a uk seaside resort they are rude even to us English so tourists have no chance.

Im English and im not rude.

topdog
shut it you scottish haggis

PEP
Maybe it was a bad vibe that you gave out. BE NICE TO PEOPLE, SMILE AND HAVE A FRIENDLY MANNER AND PEOPLE WILL BE NICE BACK.
If you are an open person, willing to talk to people, you will find there are plently of friendly people no matter what country you are in.
Lets not talk about a Scottish/English divide. Thats just silly.
Why go on holiday to Blackpool if you dont like England?

Making friends and influencing people is hard work..... you have to make the effort yourself, dude. It is obvious from your question, that you have issues yourself.

CARLA G
because we copy american standards get plied with american films at the cinemas so now we are all rude Americanised arrogant idiots

Emily Hobhouse
It might have something to do with the fact that Scottish people aren't shy to say they won't support the English in sporting tournaments, etc. Wimbledon wa a good example.
It's ridiculous. But when you see the way some of the people speak, you just wander what happened to ur society. Don't parents teach manners anymore?

d.perrot@btinternet.com
Untrue, and you're just a pompous wee nyaff! As one Scot to another I can say that the English are no ruder than Scots or any other people. Perhaps you should have stopped playing your bagpipes on the promenade in the wee sma' hours, or is it possible that you only spoke to illegal immigrants? Plenty of those in Blackpool unfortunately.

heavenlyhaggis

S B
im english and i actually agree but it really does depend on where you visit. i went to Hunstanton and the people were so nice and pretty much everyone was.

if your going to go to places like london (where im from, *suchs*) and other cities your likely to meet people just like that.

oh and were not all like that. im not thats for sure. i hope you have a nicer experience next time you come.

gingajen
i disagree, but in fairness if i lived in Blackpool i would be as rude as hell cus id be so damn miserable. it could do with having a few pounds spent on it

joe perkinstein
Oh here we go again with all the english bashing.Listen its not ure fault u were born scottish and ginger ..Just stop living in our shadow and get a life plz...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel