TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    United States
Travel Discussion Forum

Eric, RI

In USA do the young people dress according to what class they are from? (lower, middle, upper-middle, upper)?

I heard in medieval England lower class people were not allowed to wear the same clothes as the nobles and the upper class.

Check our article section Travel Tips
Discovering the Beauty of the Dominican Republic
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

JistheRealDeal
No. People dress according to what they like and not necessarily what they can afford.

Brianna
No..The USA isn't medieval England. People where whatever they wish to wear.

ottoman
Not true ..i think every nation is the same
..lower class and upper class are different in many ways
and dress different to one another...

koukla
People dress in what they want. And what they can afford.

qaz
not at all

i mean of course the rich bussiness men dress in suits and that sort.

most people however dont

lets say there is one family they are obviously in the same class but the brother might dress like trash and the sister will dress in very expensive clothes.

it just depends on the person personality

stopspucks88
I disagree with what most of the answers are...I think they do dress different.

I come from a working class background but go to a private, somewhat snotty university full of rich kids. I wear tshirts and old jeans, because I'd rather be able to pay for my schoolbooks than new clothes. I don't own a real winter coat (and I'm from Boston!) but just wear layers.
Most of the students, from upper class families, dress in lacoste and abercrombie clothes, regularly pay over $100 for a new pair of jeans, and the girls have a different pair of shoes for every outfit. The boys often wear blazers. It's shows where you are from, economically speaking.
The middle class is sort of a mixture between the two, I guess. Nice sweaters or polos with target pants. Much cheaper that way!

People don't dress how they want, they dress how they are expected to. If I showed up in expensive clothes tomorrow, everyone would be shocked. But if a guy sitting next to me forgot to pop his collar...that would be a shock to. It's all by what expectations are, and people are pretty much not allowed to dress outside of their class because that defines a price range. So, yeah, it's obvious where you come from.

tiggergoesbouncebounce
somewhat, like the rich people buy name brand clothes, whereas the lower class buys store-brand.

iwantsomeonetoeatcheeesewith
i dress like im in the middle class. lower?
but i dont have clothes to push me up into upper middle class.
hmmmm.....

Arshan
I don't think we live in the medieval times anymore.

nitzy: the man u fan!
Not any more. Everybody pretty much dress however they want to.

Sareli7
People dress according to the style they like. You can be rich, and dress punk...and you can dress preppy even if you don't have a lot of $.

Caitlin N
we can all wear whatever we want, if we have the money for it. we could save up $400 for a shirt, but be middle class.

and it's not medeviel american thing anyway

zoomat4580
Here in the USA it is impossible to tell how wealthy a person is by their clothes or the cars they drive. Anyone could dress well and drive a nice car, but be on the verge of bankruptcy. I've known millionaires who drive crappy cars and dress in jeans.

eagleboy225
People dress in whatever they can afford. Have you been living in hole in the ground??

northmiamibeach1975
They dress according to what they see on TV.

Forget about individuality.
They all look like one person.

Freaking bubble heads.

sunshine
Are you totally sure about this question??? Wake Up America!!!
This is a free country and anybody can dress wherever they want.

tweetymay
No way, people dress however they wish to. Which is why there are people living in the projects that wear $180.00 sneakers, and people that live in "better" neighborhoods wearing $20.00 K-Mart specials.

farmergirl9
people where what they want here. and what ever is in their price range.

ShouldBeWorking
It obviously shows somewhat, based on what you can afford. . But umm. . .this isn't midevil times anymore

a_norcal
no, people dress whatever way they feel like, a lot has changed since the medieval days, for example ask yahoo!,bikini's, edible panties, bling bling etc.

kent_shakespear
there are rich people who like to dress poor; there are poor people who like nice threads.

but the general rule is that income dictates the quality of clothing you can afford.

Common Sense
Nope.

Lexi
you can kind of tell what class a person is from by the way that they dress. just look at the brand of clothing and what type of style they have. if it is preppy then they probably come from a higher class.

halicon2000
what they can afford id say

xtina
nobles? hello, this is the 21ist century

we all where what we want to wear, not what we're supposed to.

air_dair_eeyor@hotmail.com
we can dress how ever we want to

Balthazar
No, you are talking about an era that doesn't exist anymore...you can hardly tell a millionaire from a white collar worker in our culture today.
Unless of course your name is Donald Trump...you'd never find him in jeans so that makes him out of style and out of the loop. But, shhhh don't tell him that. He thinks he sets all the trends but I don't see many followers around NYC.

sarah-face
everyone here just kind of dresses how they want. the more welthy kids can usually afford higher brand clothing but thats about the only difference. labels.

hotteenick
People dress how they like.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel