TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    United States
Travel Discussion Forum

Izzy2608

In what US cities do houses not have basements?

I currently live in St. Louis and was planning to move to Dallas, when I was shocked to find that houses there do not have basements. So it made me wonder how many other cities have houses with no basements.

Check our article section Travel Tips
Wearing Green on St. Patrick's Day
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

Reo
Many in the Southwest don't, but there's always an exception.

Fester Frump
No basements in Phoenix, AZ and I assume other desert cities in AZ as well.

I think any place where they don't have to bury the plumbing 6 feet down to keep it from freezing you won't find basements.

I've lived in Phoenix - no basements
Seattle - they have basements, but not all houses have them. One house I owned there was just built on footings around the perimeter of the structure - dirt under the actual house.
Ft. Collins Colorado - most homes have basements, central air conditioning is mandatory for new construction for some weird reason.
New England - homes have basements.

ALFimzadi
Many states as a whole do not have basements...Nevada for instance does not. It depends on the soil they have too. If it is clay or hard soil, it is more for them to dig or blast the hole for the basement, and if you want it, it is going to cost you an arm and a leg. I'm from Iowa, so I was used to having a basement as well...I now live south of Dallas, no basement:(

Fireball226
in many southern states 75% dont have them

Texas Horse Lover
We don't have 'em in Houston, because we're so close to sea level, they'd likely flood. I used to live in Dallas and they don't have 'em there, either, but I don't know what their excuse is. :-)

Jason
Southern States rarely have them

p h
HARDLY ANY CITIES IN THE SOUTH HAVE HOUSES WITH BASEMENTS. wE DO NOT GET THAT COLD HERE THEREFORE WE DO NOT NEED TO STORE HEATING FUEL OR COAL. i THINK THE NORTH HAS BASEMENTS BECAUSE OF THE TEMPERATURE IN THE WINTER.

storm
Homes built without basements are generally located in areas with shifting soil and a high water table. Most any place where there is an exposure to radon may preclude the use of basements, as well. But you might be able to locate homes with crawlspaces that can be converted to basements.

it's me
I live in the southeast and it is rare for a house to have a basement, Some do but the majority do not.

Mine has a crawl space which is exactly what it sounds like. Simply enough room to crawl.

Jeff
I know New Orleans does not have basements. They have to bury their dead in above-ground cemetaries.

If you dig a hole 3 feet deep in some spots, you'll strike water.

tante
I've never heard of this before!

SAMD010
The cities where the local police use tasers . . . Probably.

bonitakale
You have to dig a foundation to below the frost line. If you do that in a place that gets cold, you might almost as well go a bit farther and put a basement in.

Cleveland OH area-- most houses have basements, but not all. In some towns, you can't build a basement legally without a sump pump for floods.

‚?•JJ‚?•
Cities located in the southern regions of the following states:
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi
Texas

just to name a few.

tinap1203
houston, tx.

Buzz
In flood areas, and in areas where there is high ground water and it could easily seep into a basement. Also in areas where the bedrock is close to the surface and digging down would be almost impossible.

sun_shinevt
Alot of houses here in the southeast don't have basements. I've heard that people that want houses built have to pay an extra $50,000 - $75,000 to have a basement. I came from New England where most houses have them, then moving to Atlanta, there aren't any. My parents live in Virginia and nobody seems to have them their either.

berkshire1043
I know Northern California does not have many.

LabRat
Wow... well, I was gonna say Dallas and Houston... but there you go.

The rain is too seasonal, so the foundation shifts too much. Live & learn.

aggylu
I grew up in the southeast, and have visited friends and family in AR, TX, TN, GA, NC, FL, AL, MS and LA.
I can remember exactly one basement.
They're quite unusual here.

harry k
The structural reason for having basements it to get the foundation of the house below the freeze line. The more south you go, the higher the freeze line to a point it isn't necessary. Building a house with a basement costs a lot more than building one without.

Therefore the "cheaper" the home the more south you are, the less likely it is to have a basement.

BostonCollin28
A lot of houses in LA and along the west coast don't have basements, as that area has a great deal of underground natural gas pockets. Digging too deep can cause a "boom". This is the same reason LA and Seattle don't have subways.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

submit

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
CATEGORIES   TRAVEL TOPICS 
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations 
 DIRECTORIES Air Travel