TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. News, articles, directories and dictionary on travel.
Travel Forum    Vietnam
Travel Discussion Forum

Chelsea B

Why were the soldiers from Vietnam treated so bad when they came home?

I am writing an essay about why our veterans should be honored and i have been doing some research about it and i have seen that they have been treated badly but i can't really find an answer so if you could help me out it would be great! thanks!!
--Chelsea*d :)

Check our article section Travel Tips
Taking a Road Trip in Australia
Post reply   New thread
Show all answers

I wasn't mistreated, and I don't personally know anyone who was.
There may well have been some who had problems.
The anti war people hated everything and everyone that loved this country.

I am a Viet Nam veteran so I'll try to explain as best I can..

During the mid 1800's France colonized Viet Nam. They were expelled during World War 2, but after the war ended they tried to re-colonize the country. In the early 1950's the north Viet Namses, supported by Chinese and Russian communists began an insurgence into south Viet Nam supported by the French. The United States government looked at this incursion as a continuation of the spread of communism in Asia that began during the Korean War, so they supported the French. The French suffered a humiliation defeat at the battle of Dien Bien Phu in 1954 and withdrew from the country. The United States assumed the main support of south Viet Nam and its army.

In 1961 President Kennedy sent U.S "special forces" troops to Viet Nam to support the government of South Viet Nam with "covert" operations believing the the south Viet Namese would defeat the Communist agressors. The poorly trained ARVN army could not stop the Communists. In 1965 President Johnson, against the advice of his advisors introduced U.S. military forces into the conflict. The north NVA army launched a mass surprise attack in 1968 during the Tet holiday. Although the NVA were defeated this was looked upon by the American press, and peace organizations as a breakdown in military intelligence and support for the war quickly began to decline. When President Nixon took office he began negotions with the Communists to ease tensions, and started to withdraw troops, but he was worried because China and Russia were still supplying the NVA.

The My Lai Massacure where American troops killed many civilians including children, and expanding the war into Cambodia & Laos, neutral countries, outraged many Americans, and the press. With no expectation of victory, and increasinly less support for the war Congress voted to reduce funding with a total ending by 1976. With cease fire agreements failing, and ever increasing victories of Communist forces President Ford finally ordered all U.S. forces out of Viet Nam in 1975 culmunating with the ultimate falling of Siagon to the Communists.

I guess the answer to your question is that many people could not understand how a war in Asia was causing any threat to their way of life here in the U.S. Since there was so much dissent against the war some people began to strike out against the most available symbol of the war, and that was the individual soldiers themselves. After rotating back to the U.S. on my way to my next duty station in West Germany I was spit upon, and cursed at by a young girl my own age while changing planes at an airport. I was very proud to serve my country, and protect the freedoms of its citizens so this act made me feel totally disrespected. To this day I can still picture the hate in her face.

Because a lot of people opposed the war. However, many of the guys who fought in Vietnam were drafted and had no choice! That's the hypocrisy of the situation. Men were forced to fight in a war, and then they returned home where people shunned them. It was horrible the way we treated them. People could be against the war without having to be against the guys who were forced to fight that war.

nikki p.
Don't quote me but I think it is because there was so much resistance between the war and a lot of people. No one really knew why we were sending our guys over there to fight the war and people were against it and that lead to some animosity towards the vets when they came home.

Much different times and different thinking. People didn't understand you can be against the war and still support the troops.
however that brought the change you see today

?loos?oy With a Lump of Celery
It is a lesson to leaders everywhere. Do not conduct wars against the wishes of the people. Do not send brave men to fight for spurious reasons in fields of combat where there presence is neither welcomed nor warranted.

u talking about american soldiers? b/c people never wanted that war in the 1st place.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

TravelExpertGuide - The travel guide you can trust. Travel articles, news and directories
TravelExpertGuide Facebook Page TravelExpertGuide Twitter Page TravelExpertGuide Google+ Page
Terms of Service   |  Privacy Policy
Partner Links  |  Contact Us

© 2013 TravelExpertGuide
 ARTICLES Hot in Travel 
 NEWS Europe 
 DICTIONARY Family Vacations